I managed to sew this Frenchy Bag by Amy Butler that I've wanted to make for so long. I love the unusual design and the endless possibilities that comes with it. The first attempt was fairly okay as I used some cotton canvas from IKEA, without interfacing. I sewed the shoulder bag option.
Overall, sewing the bag is fairly easy. But I would definitely make some changes on the next one, construction wise. This is because I find the pockets are just too large. They are a bit floppy and gaping inside. Next time I will stitch them down in the middle to make 2 smaller pockets on each side.
I will also use a different method for attaching the top band to the lining and exterior. And also, I would change the magnetic snap position. I think it's better to position it on the upper band than just below the seam because the weight of the magnetic snap somehow pulled the lining down.
I skipped the double top stitching of the exterior to lining part. I mean, I don't know how others can do this without the magnetic snap getting in the way!
Other than those improvisations to be applied in my next attempt, I still think the bag turns out pretty good, thanks to Amy's fabulous design.
Another pretty little thing I managed to make is this little patched pillow pincushion. Made entirely from little scraps of mine, I know now I have to make tons more of these cuties. Patchwork is addictive, gotta love the opportunity to play with the fabrics, mixing and matching them.
Till later, happy sewing! :)