Wednesday 24 February 2010

More Sewing - Frenchy Bag and Patched Pincushion


I managed to sew this Frenchy Bag by Amy Butler that I've wanted to make for so long. I love the unusual design and the endless possibilities that comes with it. The first attempt was fairly okay as I used some cotton canvas from IKEA, without interfacing. I sewed the shoulder bag option.

Overall, sewing the bag is fairly easy. But I would definitely make some changes on the next one, construction wise. This is because I find the pockets are just too large. They are a bit floppy and gaping inside. Next time I will stitch them down in the middle to make 2 smaller pockets on each side.

I will also use a different method for attaching the top band to the lining and exterior. And also, I would change the magnetic snap position. I think it's better to position it on the upper band than just below the seam because the weight of the magnetic snap somehow pulled the lining down.

I skipped the double top stitching of the exterior to lining part. I mean, I don't know how others can do this without the magnetic snap getting in the way!

Other than those improvisations to be applied in my next attempt, I still think the bag turns out pretty good, thanks to Amy's fabulous design.


Another pretty little thing I managed to make is this little patched pillow pincushion. Made entirely from little scraps of mine, I know now I have to make tons more of these cuties. Patchwork is addictive, gotta love the opportunity to play with the fabrics, mixing and matching them.

Till later, happy sewing! :)

15 comments:

  1. I love Amy Butler's bags too..:)
    Your bag looks cute. It's amazing when you use different pattern fabrics, the bag looks different.
    I've made one of her betty shopper bag.It's big & suits as a travelling bag.But I haven't finish the inside lining yet..hehe.This is one of my many pending works.
    The pincushion is so colourful & cheerful..I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. zura, the bag still turned up beautifully made... and the cuteness of your patchwork pincusshion make me smile... so cute and happy colors..

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...gorgeous bag...ilove the pincushion too..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute pincushion!!!!

    Bag i still fail kekekeke

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a nice bag! And the pincushion is just lovely with thoese colourful fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great bag. Looks well made and the fabric choice defiantly looks a winner. Your pincushion is very refreshing in the bright colourful fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. gosh - that pincushion is the cutest!!
    elaine t

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, can you made me THREE pincushions??? pretty please?? reply via garlicandbutter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. salam..i'm 'aisyah from global inspire ent. n i'm looking for a independent custom made canvas and cotton bags around kl n selangor.. i've found ur blog earlier an wish to hit u..do u take order for executive occasions and events purpose?if u do,
    i nk compare harga u dgn supplier yg sedia ada..if ur price is more reasonable then we'll list u as one of our suppliers..at the moment i need about 300pcs cotton bags or canvas if possible with a simple embroidery design..

    if interested to take the job with our company do give me a call or text me asap.. :)
    thx..

    0126408144 / 0199175253

    ReplyDelete
  10. salam...bestnyer tengok hasil kerja zura...kalau saya nak melihat sendiri koleksi atau hasil jualan tu macam mana..boleh ke..saya pun tinggal di putrajaya...

    ReplyDelete
  11. salam...bestnyer tengok hasil kerja zura...kalau saya nak melihat sendiri koleksi atau hasil jualan tu macam mana..boleh ke..saya pun tinggal di putrajaya...

    ReplyDelete
  12. salam...memang kreatif dan sangat cantik hasil kerja zura...tahniah...

    ReplyDelete
  13. salam...memang cantik hasil kerjanya..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mazura :) Buat masa ni I jual semua online only, boleh tengok hasil jahitan I dekat Facebook & kain ada di kedai lovemelotscreations.com thanks dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Mazura :) Buat masa ni I jual semua online only, boleh tengok hasil jahitan I dekat Facebook & kain ada di kedai lovemelotscreations.com thanks dear :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for taking the time visiting and reading. I love to connect with my readers and it's wonderful to receive comments from you. I usually reply here in my blog and sometimes through email.

I really do appreciate your comments, thank you and *hugs* :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails