Wednesday 18 November 2009

The Garment I Was Talking About


It's the popular Simplicity 3835 Built By You pattern by designer Built By Wendy.


I read rave reviews all over the net on this pattern and how it's the best pattern for beginners. I got it at a bargain, on sale at Sewingpatterns.com for only $2.99!


I sewed the tie sleeves version. I did pretty good with the sleeves and the tie band facings. But I had a hard time with the neckline and back zipper. I used 16" invisible zipper instead of the 20" lapped zipper as in the pattern. Sewing invisible zipper is not as easy as it looks. The neck facing was a struggle for me. Once, when I realized I need to rip the seams and reattach the neck band, I put this project aside for 2 weeks!
I sewed size 12. The tunic is wearable but it is a tad too tight for me in the middle (my ample tummy doesn't help :P). I know this can be fixed by reducing the generous seam allowance.

I chose a shabby rose print cotton and soft, pinkish polkadots trimming simply because I wanted to see how does a retro-ish pattern like this would look like using feminine, girly print. Some might think it's not modern enough, but I love this combination.

Overall, I think the tie sleeves view I chose is a little bit ambitious at my present skill level. I should have started with the easier option. But once completed, I fell in love all over again with the design!

4 comments:

  1. feminin.. girly print.. i like!! :-) i would have the same problem with that neckline and yup! invincible zipper is not as easy for me too huhu! need more practice i guess

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you kak haida! dunno what i did wrong, i messed up the neckline. tapi coz fikir bila pakai tak nampak (dlm tudung) hentam jelah..hehe i definitely need more practice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. kudos to zura! love this tunic.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for taking the time visiting and reading. I love to connect with my readers and it's wonderful to receive comments from you. I usually reply here in my blog and sometimes through email.

I really do appreciate your comments, thank you and *hugs* :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails